Whether it is a major procedure, such as removing an appendix, or a minor procedure (like filling a cavity), there are lots of options you can take to improve your recovery and decrease pain.
1. ARNICA MONTANA. This is a homeopathic remedy that is awesome at improving healing, decreasing pain, and decreasing inflammation. I personally had dental implants and used a combination of homeopathic remedies that included Arnica, and I was able to avoid the use of ANY pain medication (and they prescribed Oxycodone for me!).
2. LYMPHADIARAL. This homeopathic helps to improve lymphatic drainage, so inflammation and healing byproducts don't stick around and propagate soreness and swelling. I like this as a cream that is gently rubbed as close to the area as possible, but it also comes in oral tablets.
3. ICE & ELEVATE. Time old tradition! Keep icing the area to decrease swelling, as well as elevate the area so that there is no pooling of byproducts there.
4. Other Homeopathics: Like I said above, I love homeopathics: work amazing for acute situations and there are no side effects such as dependancy. Many can be used for each healing process but it's good to find specific ones for the procedure. For example, when there is damage to bone/sheath surrounding the bone (think bone graft or dental implants) then RUTA GRAVEOLANS is a really nice homeopathic to consider. Conversely, abdominal surgeries can benefit from STAPHYSAGRIA. Talk to a naturopathic doctor about which homeopathic remedies can be useful in your specific situation.
5. CURCUMIN. The best anti-inflammatory product on the market, hands down. Curcumin, as extract from the herb Turmeric, not only is an anti-inflammatory, but it promotes healing, reduces pain, and is a jack-of-all-trades. You really can't go wrong when it comes to Curcumin.
6. BROTH. Homemade bone broth is full of vitamins and minerals that will promote healing by giving your body what it needs to repair tissue damage. Drink 1-2 cups per day.